The Death of Oriana Fallaci

This summer while I was working and living in Tuscany I read the article about Oriana Fallaci in The New Yorker. The next day I went to my favorite English book store in centro Florence and bought her book The Rage and Pride. I read it quickly much as she must have written it. I mentioned the book and its author to my friends in the shoe factory I was working in and to my pleasant surprise they were leftists all and had embraced her as a heroine and fighter with opinion's that were shared by many but rarely admitted to.

Now she is dead and I'm saddened that her voice wasn't better heard in America.

We live on the upper east side and as I walk the dogs I've tried to guess which town house she lived in, hoping I'd run into her and be able to thank her for her life's work.


I don't agree with everything she wrote but I will always admire her determination to see through the "do-gooders" foolish and unrealistic visions of the realities we are living with today.

Non arrivederci ma d'addio Oriana e li ringrazia

Comments

Popular Posts